Saturday 28 July 2012
2 to 5pm
44-86 Swanston Street
The Lord Mayor’s Student Welcome celebrates the diverse contribution of multiculturalism to our city, through overseas-born Melburnians and the presence of international students (nearly 30,000 international students live and study in Melbourne’s central city).
Meet other students, enjoy fun activities, and watch cultural arts and performances from around the world.
- The Worn Wild Fashion Show – alternative fashion featuring designs from Black Sunshine Clothing, Cherry Pie Accessories, Dark Muse Corsetry, Derby Bird, GeoMythik, Lush Cherry, Necrolillitha, and Zentity
- Katumba – Melbourne’s one and only authentic Latin and Brazilian dance experience
- Bollywood dance performance by Rhythm & Spice
- ‘Beat It’ – watch Melbourne’s very own Michael Jackson Impersonator and his dancers groove to this legend’s tunes
- Roaming Reptiles – pet snakes and lizards
- Our very funny host JMAC – presenter extraordinaire
- Come meet our community organisation representatives – Victoria Police, Council of International Students Australia, Metropolitan Fire Brigade, Meld Magazine and more!
- Giveaways, free face painting and roving performers!
International Student Guide
The City of Melbourne has produced a guide to help international students settle into the Melbourne way of life. Visit Information for international students to download the guide.
The Couch – International Student Centre
Melbourne’s international students have a place to relax, socialise and access a range of support services. The Couch offers the following features:
- provides a safe, non-commercial lounge space for international students
- allows students to access support services and information
- provides affordable meals at cost price to students
- creates an environment where students can engage, socialise and interact
- facilitates cultural exchange between local young people and international students though social activities such as footy nights, movie sessions and other activities held within the centre.
Located at 69 Bourke Street, Melbourne
The Couch is open Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursday nights from 5pm to 9pm.
Phone: 9653 3213
International Student City Ambassador Program
City Ambassador volunteers are trained volunteers who rove the city centre retail core in distinctive red uniforms answering all kinds of queries from Melbourne’s diverse community – from people who’ve come from across the world to those who’ve come from across town.
Volunteers provide their services without financial payment and offer a friendly and informative welcome to visitors.
The International Student City Ambassador Program encourages international students to get involved and be trained as a City Ambassador for a three-month period.
For more information please email email@example.com.
The City of Melbourne’s International Student Leaders’ Program – EDGE* 2012
This new program is designed to help international tertiary students currently studying in Melbourne.
An initiative of the City of Melbourne, the program is designed to enhance students’ leadership skills and assist them in career management.
Learn more at EDGE 2012.
International student committees and networks
The City of Melbourne encourages all young people, whether you’re an international student or a local resident, to participate in events and activities. For more information visit Getting involved with Council.